SAIPAN — Conservation advocates with deep Marianas roots blasted the federal government’s move toward seabed mining off the CNMI on Tuesday, saying the leasing process has ignored tens of thousands of public comments in opposition and shut the community out of decisions about its own waters.
“Trump’s attempt to mine the seabed of the Mariana Trench will only benefit far off corporate interests, while the people who call these islands home will be left with all the costs and none of the benefits,” said Angelo Villagomez, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress. “Any damage that happens from mining in this area presents permanent and irreversible risks to fragile ecosystems. The administration is again ignoring the overwhelming concerns voiced by the people and local governments.”
The center said the Proposed Leasing Notice marks a key step toward selling off 69 million acres of the American seafloor, an area it noted is about the size of Nevada, in waters next to the Marianas Trench Marine National Monument. It said the announcement ignores 60,000 public comments voicing opposition during the process, citing news reports on petitions and letters gathered by opposition groups.
The center said the process now allows comment from only one person, Gov. David M. Apatang, who it said has 60 days to review the proposed notice before a final notice issues. Under federal regulations, the CNMI governor receives a formal comment opportunity on the proposed sale before the Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management decides whether to proceed.
The center pointed to comments Apatang made to Agence France-Presse this month, in which the governor said there have been no consultations with the people of the Northern Mariana Islands.
A new video released by the center criticizes the leasing process as “resource colonialism.” It features interviews with Dr. Sabrina Suluai-Mahuka of the American Samoa conservation group Finafinau and two advocates from the Northern Mariana Islands: Dr. Steven Mana’oakamai Johnson of Cornell University and Villagomez. The interviews were conducted in June during the Upwell conference in Washington, D.C.
The Marianas sale, designated Pacific Mineral Lease Sale 2, follows a similar proposed notice for American Samoa, designated PACM-1, issued last month. The center said more than 60,000 comments were submitted in the Marianas process and more than 70,000 in American Samoa, most in opposition.
The proposed notice sets a Dec. 16 auction date for the Marianas leases. The federal government has said publication of the notice does not guarantee a sale will occur.
Conservation Advocates Slam Seabed Leasing Push as ‘Resource Colonialism’
SAIPAN — Conservation advocates with deep Marianas roots blasted the federal government’s move toward seabed mining off the CNMI on Tuesday, saying the leasing process has ignored tens of thousands of public comments in opposition and shut the community out of decisions about its own waters.
“Trump’s attempt to mine the seabed of the Mariana Trench will only benefit far off corporate interests, while the people who call these islands home will be left with all the costs and none of the benefits,” said Angelo Villagomez, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress. “Any damage that happens from mining in this area presents permanent and irreversible risks to fragile ecosystems. The administration is again ignoring the overwhelming concerns voiced by the people and local governments.”
The center said the Proposed Leasing Notice marks a key step toward selling off 69 million acres of the American seafloor, an area it noted is about the size of Nevada, in waters next to the Marianas Trench Marine National Monument. It said the announcement ignores 60,000 public comments voicing opposition during the process, citing news reports on petitions and letters gathered by opposition groups.
The center said the process now allows comment from only one person, Gov. David M. Apatang, who it said has 60 days to review the proposed notice before a final notice issues. Under federal regulations, the CNMI governor receives a formal comment opportunity on the proposed sale before the Assistant Secretary for Land and Minerals Management decides whether to proceed.
The center pointed to comments Apatang made to Agence France-Presse this month, in which the governor said there have been no consultations with the people of the Northern Mariana Islands.
A new video released by the center criticizes the leasing process as “resource colonialism.” It features interviews with Dr. Sabrina Suluai-Mahuka of the American Samoa conservation group Finafinau and two advocates from the Northern Mariana Islands: Dr. Steven Mana’oakamai Johnson of Cornell University and Villagomez. The interviews were conducted in June during the Upwell conference in Washington, D.C.
The Marianas sale, designated Pacific Mineral Lease Sale 2, follows a similar proposed notice for American Samoa, designated PACM-1, issued last month. The center said more than 60,000 comments were submitted in the Marianas process and more than 70,000 in American Samoa, most in opposition.
The proposed notice sets a Dec. 16 auction date for the Marianas leases. The federal government has said publication of the notice does not guarantee a sale will occur.